One of the most common questions homeowners have regarding professional moving services is whether to tip movers. If you should tip, how much is an acceptable amount? Before you worry about how much to tip a mover, it’s important to check with your moving company regarding any gratuity policies. Some Madison movers do not allow tipping, so it’s helpful to know their policy before you put your movers in an awkward situation.
If you know that your moving company allows tips, the following guidelines help you to determine if, when, and how much to tip movers.
When to Tip Your Movers
You may want to tip your movers if they:
- Completed your move earlier than expected
- Provided exceptional, friendly, and professional services
- Had to climb an excessive amount of stairs
- Moved heavy, bulky, or otherwise difficult to move items
When Not to Tip Your Movers
You should never feel obligated to tip your moving crew if:
- They show up unreasonably late with no explanation or apology
- The service you receive is disrespectful or careless
- Any of your questions or directions are completely ignored
How Much You Should Tip
So, you’ve decided to tip your Madison movers, now what? There are certain places you go where you know how much to tip, like 20% at a restaurant, but moving doesn’t have any set standards for tipping. In general, movers don’t expect extra money, but if you want to, consider the following amounts:
- $10 per person for a half day of labor
- $20 per person for a full day of labor
- Keeping snacks and cold drinks on hand
- Buying lunch for the crew
- Setting up an area in which your movers can take a break between loads
- Writing a great review and mention movers by name
How to Tip a Mover
It might seem like a no-brainer, but many people aren’t sure how they should go about distributing tips. You may find you can add a tip to your bill or hand the total tip amount to a supervisor, but moving experts suggest taking the time to individually hand each mover their tip. The easiest way to tip your movers is to fill separate envelopes with cash, then distribute them among the crew with a sincere “thank you.”
Want more tips to make your move less stressful? Get in touch the Madison movers at Capital City Transfer to learn more about how to have a hassle-free move. Call us today or take a moment to complete our online contact form to request your free, no-obligation estimate of moving costs.